Are you looking for the best ecommerce platform for your new website? If so, let’s compare PrestaShop Vs Bigcommerce to help you find the right platform for your business. In this comparison, we will take a look at themes, SEO, apps, features, pricing, and more.
BigCommerce was founded in 2009 by Australians Eddie Machaalani and Mitchell Harper. Today, the company has reported over $8 billion in sales with their ecommerce platform.
PrestaShop is an open source e-commerce solution that started in Paris, France in 2005 as a student project. As of today, PrestaShop is being used by over 250,000 ecommerce shops worldwide.
In total, BC gives their 119 themes. Bigcommerce has 7 free themes and 112 purchasable themes for their customers to choose from. Most of their themes have 3-4 styles to choose from. I find BC themes to be very expensive compared to other website builders. With Bigcommerce theme prices range from $145 – $235. You are also able to purchase Bigcommerce themes on third party sites such as Theme Forest and Theme Vale.
PrestaShop easily wins the theme selection category. PrestaShop offers thousands of more themes than BigCommerce at a cheaper price as well. Themes can be purchased for as low as $74.99 to $184.99. With more themes available you, there is a stronger chance that you will find the right look that you have always wanted for your brand. Lastly, Bigcommerce themes are more minimal. PrestaShop offers far more beautiful themes for business owners. Both platforms allow you to view a demo of the theme before any purchase is made.
Pricing matters. You have to choose a company that best fits your budget.
Bigcommerce has three plans to choose from.
- Standard plan ($29.95/mo) – This plan gives you a basic online storefront.
- Plus plan ($79.95/mo) – This is the most popular Bigcommerce plan that gives your business extra tools to work with such as customer groups and segmentation, Abandoned cart saver, and up to 150K of online sales per year.
- Pro Plan ($249.95/mo) – Pro is great for growing businesses and comes with a comprehensive set of features. Extra Pro features include Google Customer reviews, faceted search, and custom SSL.
Use SiteGround along with PrestaShop.
PreastaShop is a free ecommerce platform. To use PrestaShop all that you need is a cheap web hosting company. I strongly recommend that PrestaShop users use SiteGround which has been rated the top shared web hosting service three years in a row. SiteGround can be purchased at $3.95/mo. Their best selling hosting plan is their GrowBig plan for $5.95/mo. GrowBig allows their customers to have multiple websites, more web space, and more features. GoGeek is crafted for larger growing businesses and costs $11.95/mo. With GoGeek you will receive all essential features, premium features, and Geeky advanced features.
Start SiteGround here. 60% off.
One area that BC excels in is their app store. There is no denying that PrestaShop gives you more apps to choose from. However, Bigcommerce offers well over 100 free themes while PrestaShop offers less than 60 free apps.
In total BigCommerce offers about 500 free and paid apps for their customers to choose from.
5 of Bigcommerce’s most popular apps.
- Endicia – This is a free app that makes shipping simple. With Endicia you are able to save up to 51% off of USPS Retail and USPS.com.
- Salesforce – Salesforce is a well-known CRM that allows merchants to manage customers and leads more efficiently.
- Kampyle – Kampyle costs $99/mo. This app creates feedback solutions for lead generation and customer engagement.
- KashFlow Integration (£19.99/mo) – Save time by automatically importing orders and customer information into KashFlow in real-time.
- Linnworks – This is an order management software that saves you time and money. Linnworks is free for 30 days.
PrestaShop has 3000+ modules for their customers to choose from.
5 of PrestaShop’s most popular modules.
- Abandoned Cart Reminder Pro ($135) – This plugin allows you to improve your conversion rate by 15%.
- Easy Ebay integration.
- List your products on Amazon from BigCommerce.
- No transaction fees.
- Unlimited storage and products on all BC plans.
- Unlimited staff accounts on all plans.
- Branded online store.
- Blogging tools
- Product ratings and reviews.
- Free sitewide HTTPs and Dedicated SSL.
- Shipping label discounts
- Ecommerce reporting tolls.
- Coupons, discounts, and gifts cards for your customers.
- Hundreds of apps
- Create and sell digital products
- Run multiple stores on the same backoffice.
- Multi-language product sheet to satisfy all customers.
- Full range of insights about your products.
- You’re given the ability to highlight your most popular items.
- Order overviews available.
- Easily make special offers for certain products or to certain customers.
- Various blogging extensions
- Product cloning
- Product image zoom
- Discount mode
- Thousands of free and paid apps.
Payment gateways – The more payment gateways that an ecommerce platform offers the better it will be for your business.
Bigcommerce gives their customers 40 pre-integrated payment gateways serving 100+ countries. A few payment solutions include PayPal, Stripe, 2Checkout, NetBilling, NetRegistr, PayStation, Realex, WorldPay, Ogone, and more.
PrestaShop has over 50 payment solutions including Bitcoin, which is becoming increasingly popular. Other payment solutions include PayPal, Stripe, Amazon Pay, Authorize.Net, Wallet, 2checkout, WorldPay, First Data, and more.
Both platforms have built-in SEO and do well in the search engines. Not only will your site be SEO ready, but you will also be able to install SEO plugins to improve your online store’s SEO. The only difference is that with PrestaShop you are given more SEO power from SiteGround.
SiteGround uses SSD, NGINX, Geeky SuperCacher, Cloudflare, and more for faster site speed. Also, you are given data centers in multiple continents. In the world of SEO speed matters. A faster loading website has the potential to rank higher than another website.
Which is better?
The choice should be easy especially if you are on a budget. Both platforms have a few things in common such as 24/7 support and they are both easy to use. However, Bigcommerce is a very expensive platform. Using PrestaShop is going to be cheaper. Also, with PrestaShop you are given more apps to work with and a larger theme selection. PrestaShop is the clear winner. I encourage you to try it today. SiteGround offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. I will help you to set up a PrestaShop site in 5 minutes or less.
Start SiteGround here. (60% off)
All that you have to do is follow the signup process and then install the PrestaShop platform in your cPanel.